top banner

History

Friends You Can Depend On.

CRESTON LOCATION

The firm had its origin in the early 1900's and was known as the Mickel-McGregor Furniture Company, with Charles McGregor and Mr. Mickel as partners.  In 1914, Clarence Coen and L.L. McGregor bought interest in the firm and the name was changed to McGregor Bros. & Coen.  In 1917, Harry Coen joined the firm.  In 1919, Leonard McCann joined the firm as an Undertaker and Furniture Salesman and was a faithful employee for more than 62 years.


Later, with the addition of Ed Coen, the brothers:  Harry, Ed and John changed the name of the business to Coen Furniture and Funeral Directors.  They continued to operate both businesses at 121 N. Maple Street until 1953, when they purchased the Fred Ide residence at 809 W. Montgomery Street.  The residence was  emodeled and the funeral business was moved to the house.  At this time, Coen's Home for Funerals was brought into existence.

Harry Coen died in 1968. Ed and John continued until 1972 when John joined the furniture store and Ed continued to operate the funeral home until 1975 when he retired.  Then, Sam and Jerry Beaty moved to Creston from Chariton to operate the Coen Funeral Home. A new chapel area was added in 1976, and in 1981 the name was changed to Coen-Beaty Funeral Home.

In 1986, the Beaty's expanded the business, purchasing the Gauthier Funeral Homes in Corning and Lenox and the names were changed to Coen-Beaty Funeral Home also.  The Beaty's had previously purchased the Sutphen Funeral Home in Villisca from Paul and Helen Sutphen.  In 1989, Bruce Pearson was hired by Sam and Jerry to work as a Funeral Director in the Corning location.  Bruce, originally from Lincoln, Nebraska, moved to Corning from Arkansas and continued to work for Coen-Beaty Funeral Home until he purchased the homes in 2003.  Bruce then moved to Creston and continues to operate the business today.  The name of the Funeral Home was changed to Pearson Family Funeral Service in 2011.

CORNING LOCATION

 

The Corning location, at 701 7th Street, was built in 1906 as Corning's first hospital and was in operation governed by its stockholder's and the Corning Hospital Association.  First officers were: C.F. Andrews, Dr.  C.H.  Barnhart, A.R. Maxwell, J.W. Biggar and Tim Sullivan.

The Hospital was in full operation from 1906 to 1908 by Dr. Potter and Dr. Large.  After Dr. Potter's sudden death in 1908 the hospital was divided and became the Farley home and Barker Hotel for several years.

In the late 1940's Boyd Roland purchased and converted the Farley home into the Roland Funeral Home.

Later, Boyd's son, Kenny Roland, joined the firm.  In the early 1970's Jim Larkin purchased the funeral home from the Roland family and changed the name to the Larkin Funeral Home.

In 1982, Chris and Lynn Gauthier purchased the funeral and it became the Larkin-Gauthier Funeral Home and later the Gauthier Funeral Home.

In 1986, the Beaty's expanded the business, purchasing the Gauthier Funeral Homes in Corning and Lenox and the names were changed to Coen-Beaty Funeral Home.  The Beaty's had previously purchased the Sutphen Funeral Home in Villisca from Paul and Helen Sutphen.  In 1989, Bruce Pearson was hired by Sam and Jerry to work as a Funeral Director in the Corning location.  Bruce, originally from Lincoln, Nebraska, moved to Corning from Arkansas and continued to work for Coen-Beaty Funeral Home until he purchased the homes in 2003.  Bruce then moved to Creston and continues to operate the business today.  The name of the Funeral Home was changed to Pearson Family Funeral Service in 2011.

The Funeral Home has had many renovations over the years.  Today, it is a modern facility, but maintains some of its original character.